Sticky Orange, Almond and Ginger Semolina Cake
Looking for a delicious cake recipe that’s a little bit different and will WOW your guests? Then you need to get to the shops and grab yourself a box of Messy Jessy.
Messy Jessy cake mixes are easy to make, are made locally here in SA and use fresh ingredients- the pickiest of people will have no idea that it’s a cake mix. I’ve previously tried Jessica Liebich’s Rustic Pear, Cinnamon + Almond Streusel Cake and was impressed- this cake is no different.
Pick up a packet from selected Woolworths, Foodland, IGA’s and online.. and get baking!
- Messy Jessy sticky orange, almond and ginger semolina cake mix
- 175 grams softened unsalted butter
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 large oranges
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees (fan forced)
- Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm round spring form cake tin (6-7 cm deep)
- Using zester or fine grater, zest two of the oranges.
- Juice all three of the oranges and pass through a strainer. If need be, add water to make a total of 1 1⁄4 cups of juice.
- Using a hand held mixer or whisk, beat softened butter until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Do not worry if mixture curdles a little.
- Empty contents of SACHET 1 into bowl with egg mixture. Add 1⁄2 cup orange juice plus the grated zest of two oranges. Stir using a wooden spoon until all combined. Pour contents into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes. The centre of the cake should be slightly firm to the touch.
While you’re waiting..
- Empty contents of SACHET 2 into a saucepan along with 3⁄4 cup of orange juice. Stir over low heat until all dissolved and syrupy.
- Take the cake out of the oven. Leave cake in tin and while still hot, poke holes into it using a metal skewer. Using a tablespoon slowly drizzle the hot syrup over the cake. Leave in tin to cool completely then remove from cake tin.
- Scatter contents of Sachet 3 over the top.
- Serve with a dollop of double cream. I left off the contents of sachet 3 and added dehydrated oranges that I had made at home.
This cake was made according to directions on the packet.
***I was provided this cake mix to try by Messy Jessy. Although provided with the mix, all views remain honest and my own***