Love the convenience of a packet mix cake but hate the idea of having no idea what the ingredients are listed on the side of the box?
Well now there’s a relatively new player in the cake mix game that is all about fresh ingredients, big flavours and keeping it simple- and it’s called Messy Jessy.
Yes, I may have been totally hooked just by the name as it’s the same as mine and pretty much sums up my life in the kitchen (sorry other half). But I also love that you can name every ingredient on the packet, they are super quick and easy to make and they taste just as good as something made from scratch- believe me, no one would know they are a packet mix.
Messy Jessy is the third baby of the mum of 2 and incredible cook Jessica Liebich. Jess took out the My Kitchen Rules title alongside Bree May in 2014 and her passion for cooking has only blossomed since then.
I had the opportunity to try some Messy Jessy cakes and one of my favourites is the Rustic Pear, Cinnamon + Almond Streusel Cake. Its a moist cake, lightly spiced and tastes like something that my grandma would have baked. You can buy Jess’s cake mixes from Foodland, IGA’s and online.
Rustic Pear, Cinnamon + Almond Streusel Cake
Messy Jessy Rustic Pear, Cinnamon + Almond Streusel Cake packet mix
1 large egg
120 grams of softened unsalted butter
1 large firm pear- peeled, cored and dicedDouble cream to serve
35 grams softened unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius (fan forced). Grease and line with baking paper a 20cm round spring form cake tin (6-7cms deep) .
- Using a hand held mixer or whisk, beat softened butter until creamy. Beat in egg, do not worry if mixture curdles a bit.
- Empty contents of sachet 1 into the egg mixture. Stir in pear and 1/2 cup of water. Mix until all combined. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Empty sachet 2 into a clean bowl. Add 35grams of softened unsalted butter and using fingertips, rub together until mixture resembles course crumbs. Scatter this evenly on top of cake batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Leave cake in tin to cool completely. Serve with a dollop of double cream.
This cake was made according to directions on the packet.
***I was provided this cake mix to try by Messy Jessy. Although provided with the mix, all views remain honest and my own***