12 of my favourite things to do in Hahndorf
Have you ever been to Hahndorf? If you haven’t then you need to go. Some people think it can be a little bit cheesy but I think its packed full of charm, history and good looks.
Growing up my parents owned a fairy shop in the town, so it has always been a special place for me. The older I have gotten the more I love it- maybe it is because it’s full of amazing eateries, wineries and delicious treats that my 10 year old self never would have appreciated.
If you’ve never visited Hahndorf, or are just looking for some of the best spots to visit/things to do, then check out this list. It was hard to narrow down to 12, but if i didn’t I would be blabbing on all day..
- Eat humongous hotdogs filled with kranskys and sauerkraut or epic Ploughmans Platters at The German Arms Hotel. Wash it all down with a beer bigger than your head.
photo credit- Hersey Cellar door and Bar facebook
- Dabble in a glass of vino at Hersey Cellar Door and Bar. Their intimate cellar door is a hidden gem and their wines are worth the drive to Hahndorf alone.
- Get your Dr Doolittle on at the Hahndorf Farm Barn– the little kids (and bigger ones) absolutely love this place.
- Walk around the town and eat your body weight in fudge. There are a few fudge and lolly shops dotted throughout the town, stocking everything from homemade toffees to imported sweets.
- Start the day right and order the pancakes from the Seasonal Garden Cafe. If you’re after something not as sweet then they also have you covered, with plenty of nutritious and delicious meals on offer.
photo credit- Beerenberg Farm
- Go strawberry picking at Beerenberg Strawberry Farm. Once you’ve got your stash, head inside and stock up on their delicious condiments- their sauces and dressings are staples in our cupboard.
- Get your coffee fix from the Caffiend Coffee Company, who roast coffee on site and dish out all day brekky. Cafes ‘Kitchen 2C‘ and ‘The Seasonal Garden Cafe‘ also tick the boxes and make a great coffee.
- Snag yourself a bag of delicious chocolate apricot balls aka Fruchocs from the Fruchoc Shop. These iconic South Australian balls are this girls best friend- when you have them i’m sure they will be yours too.
- Stop in for a brew or two at the Gulf Brewery. If you are a beer enthusiast then opt for their tasting paddles, where you can pick your favourites for a little taste.
photo credit- Adelady
- Stay the night! The Manna on the Main Street of Hahndorf is on my go-to list of places to stay. It’s clean, offers stylish rooms and is the heart of the town, making it the perfect place to base yourself for a weekend away in the Adelaide Hills.
- Eat yourself into a cheese coma at Udder Delights Cheese. These guys make a mean cheese platter and their brie and chevre is next level. Sit out the front under the huge leafy trees and graze away. Oh and don’t forget a selfie with the giant cow out the front.
- If you’ve got a car handy then take a short drive to the Hahndorf Hill Winery. If cheese platters, beautiful wines and great views tick your boxes then you need to give them a visit. If you want to visit them, as well as other wineries in the Adelaide Hills, then check out Trailhopper Tours. They pick you up from the Hahndorf Visitor Centre and visit a huge range of wineries- read all about them on my blog post here.
Have you been to Hahndorf before? What’s your favourite things to see and do while you’re there? Let me know!